A Love of all things painted

.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I am one proud American.....

Like so many Americans, I was at work when we were attacked.  We had just started a Training Conference in my building aboard Naval Air Station.  We always kept the lounge TV on the news chanel and as I headed back to my office I heard the news of the first tower being hit.  By the time I got to my office, my phone was ringing and we were told the base was on high alert.  I turned on the tv in my office and we gathered around to watch the horror - all the time being in shock and tears flowing down our cheeks - the fear must have been tremendous for those poor souls.  Being on a Naval Base during this time was different than any other time in my twenty eight years of work there.  We got word that our Commanding Officer ordered all non-essential civilians to evacuate the base immediately.  Being that I was the Director at our conference center meant I had to stay - I didn't have a choice anyway because my vehicle was being serviced that day and I had to have my hubby come to get me - however, even though he is a retired Navy Chief, he was not allowed on base.  It was a long, sad day - compounded by the fact that my employees were gone (I had several Federal prisoners working for me and one was a Muslim from Palestine who was scared to death) and I was by myself most of the day.  I sat glued to the tv - Once I was able to get home we stayed up most of the night - I am very emotional and when I see someone crying, I cry too.  We lit one of our large candles and did what many of our neighbors did - we put it outside in our yard for the world to see. 

We could not comprehend what had happened - how was this possible? How could someone come into our country, train as a pilot then turn around and use that knowledge against us? What was it about American they so dispised? Was it our generousity, our patriotism, our love for fellow human beings? What have we done to deserve this? Are we not the first ones to respond when another country needs help? I don't think we will ever have an answer - how can you know what goes on in the minds of sadistic terrorists? But what I do know is that as Americans we will go being the wonderful, generous and sometimes forgiving people we have always been.


This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so happy you came for a visit and I love reading your comments. I hope you will check back with me often. Until then, I will be at my easel - Happy Painting.