A Love of all things painted

.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

"When we set an example of honesty, our children will be honest.
When we encircle them with love they will be loving.
When we practice tolerance they will be tolerant.
When we meet life with laughter and a twinkle in our eye,
They will develop a sense of humor."

Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
1 Timothy 4:12

When I was a little girl, about nine years old, there was nothing I loved more than going to church.  Our pastor would often have what he called "Bible Drills".  The children who wanted to participate would come to the front of the church and after the pastor called a Bible verse, we would race to see who would find the verse first.  I knew my Bible quite well and won many times.  If we won we were allowed to pick something from the prize chest.  That was the best part for me - after all I was only nine years old!!  One of the items I picked was this "Mother" plaque.  I couldn't wait to get it home and give it to my mother.  My mother hung this in her kitchen for more than forty years!!  I think she must have truly loved it.  When she died ten years ago, my youngest sister went through her things and knew immediately that this needed to come back to me.  It now hangs over my kitchen sink.  I have printed out a little card that is placed on the back so when I am gone my children will know the importance of this simple little plaque.

Happy Mother's Day!!

My mother came through many hard times in her life.  She had eleven children, cooked home made meals from scratch every day, washed our clothes many times by hand or in a wringer washer, sewed most of our clothes (except the undies - she hated working with elastic), carried the sack for my father when they went fishing (hard to do at 4' 11" tall - my father was 6'), cared for her own young children and four younger siblings after the death of her mother, and took in every stray - human or otherwise - that came to our house.  With all that she did - I did not learn much from her in the cooking department, I was much more interested in drawing and coloring.  She often commented that the only cooking I knew how to do came from the can, freezer, or microwave.  And she was so right.  That is why I can't help but smile when I see this little plate that hangs next to my "Mother" plaque above my sink.  My mother gave me this when we bought our first house - it is the Kitchen Prayer.  It has the sweetest pink roses on each side of the fireplace which has a bean pot over the fire.  The verse goes like this -

Lord of all pots and pans, and things, since I've not time to be a Saint by doing lovely things or watching late with Thee.
Or dreaming in the dawn light, or storming Heaven's gates, Make me a saint by getting meals and washing up the plates.
Although I must have Martha's hands, I have a Mary mind, and when I black the boots and shoes, Thy sandals, Lord, I find.
I think of how they trod the earth, each time I scrub the floor, accept this meditation, Lord - I haven't time for more.
Warm all the kitchen with Thy love and light it with Thy peace.  Forgive me all my worry, and make my grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food, in room or by the sea, Accept this service that I do, I do it unto Thee.

Happy Pink Saturday yall!!  Stop by Ms. Beverly and check out all the pink pretties from some very sweet ladies.







1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your story. So sweet. That was smart, putting the card on the back. So many memories are lost I think.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Come over to my blog for a visit, I'm giving away something pretty!
    http://luluscottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you came for a visit and I love reading your comments. I hope you will check back with me often. Until then, I will be at my easel - Happy Painting.